Concorde2019

Just another Edublogs site

A place called Perfect

October15

75 Comments to

“A place called Perfect”

1. November 1st, 2018 at 10:56 am      Reply Bethan, Abbeywood Says:

I have picked this book to read first out of the six books for the award. I picked it because the cover and the blurb interested me and made me want to read it and find out what happens.
    The title sounds intriguing because at first, it makes you think that the main character, Violet, is living in a perfect world, however when you read the short quote on the cover, you realise that it is a different story.
    The blurb then interests me because you vaguely know that there is something odd about the place where she lives, and as you carry on reading the blurb, you want to know what secrets the Watchers are guarding.
    I look forward to reading this book, and hopefully the storyline will be just as good and mysterious as it sounds.

• March 1st, 2019 at 9:17 am      Reply Ollie Says:

im sorry bethan, but I must disagree with you. I thought the book was less than stellar. I didn’t enjoy it that much

• March 1st, 2019 at 9:19 am      Reply Trevor Says:

Hey bethan, did you notice the cover artist is the same as beetle boy?
      This is what drew me to the book in the first place!

• March 1st, 2019 at 9:50 am      Reply Rosie, Castle Says:

I agree with you. The title and blurb combine together to offer a mysterious looking book that intrigues readers. Personally, I don’t think the cover was the best, as I believe it made the book look like it was for a younger audience than it actually was, which is one of the things that put me off at first. However the blurb and quote on the front worked well.

• March 1st, 2019 at 10:59 am      Reply Bethan, Abbeywood Says:

I agree. The cover provides a false advertisement for the story, and it makes it seem for a younger audience. However, I still think that the maturity levels of the book were quite low and didn’t address mature issues – this did make it a nice break from a book but I would not recommend it to people who are trying to challenge themselves.
        The blurb on A Place Called Perfect didn’t give too much away of the book but gave just enough to make readers want to read it. If there were any more information on it, I would find it too informative.

• March 3rd, 2019 at 3:14 pm      Reply reading1234567 Says:

Though the cartoony style did give us some hints that it may not have mature themes running through it don’t you think? I disagree on your comment on the blurb I think it gave a lot away as the book so far doesn’t have an awful lot going on. The only secret was that there might be something bad going on and that’s given to us from the start. I think rose-tinted glasses was a bit of a bad choice from the authors as it is recognised to change your opinions of things.

• March 11th, 2019 at 9:57 pm       Bethan, Abbeywood Says:

I do see your point.
            I wouldn’t say that the book was very mature, but the dystopian feeling about it made it more mature. The story also foreshadows multiple parts for the action later on in the story – this did make the story more predictable as you went through it, and this made the book slightly less of a smooth read.

• March 3rd, 2019 at 3:10 pm      Reply reading1234567 Says:

On the contrary Bethan, I think the cover drew me away from the book as it appeared to have quite childish themes. the cartoons showed me the story line wasn’t going to be particularly dramatic but I can see how this would appeal to younger readers. I did decide to give this book a chance as I judged beetle boy very quickly and then vastly enjoyed it. However the cover is living up to my expectations now I have read a few chapters.

2. November 5th, 2018 at 9:17 pm      Reply Bethan, Abbeywood Says:

I have began to read this book and I am enjoying reading it so far. It has a lot of plot twists in it already and the storyline has hardly started yet.
    In a lot of parts of the beginning of the book, it has left me feeling empathy with the main character, Violet, who has been forced to move to a very strange town (for multiple reasons which you will find out when you read the book).
    Whenever I am reading this book, I can never put it down and the amount of twists in the book make it a very entertaining read. I am looking forward to reading the rest of this story and to find out what happens to Violet and where the other main character (a boy called Boy who is written in the blurb) comes into the story.

• February 6th, 2019 at 11:51 am      Reply EH@CSS Says:

I agree with this! There are a lot of plot twists in this book.One second she is upset another is when she is sneaking out to a place which is not in perfect. I think this book is entertaining in some parts but i think there is too much detail, which will start to make it boring for me. But except from that is is really good.I am looking forwards for what is to come!

• March 1st, 2019 at 9:20 am      Reply Ollie Says:

I agree, there is far too much detail. I ended up zoning out and having to go back up to the top of my page multiple times until I understood what was happening.

• March 1st, 2019 at 9:22 am      Reply Trevor Says:

Right on, bethann! Violets character was oftten annoying and rash,much to my dismay. Boy was really cool though.

• March 1st, 2019 at 1:27 pm      Reply Bethan, Abbeywood Says:

As I read the book around six months ago now, I am vaguely forgetting the details of Violet’s character. I can remember quite liking her character at the beginning, and contradicting your comment, I found Boy quite an irritating character. However, I did really like the intricate and subtle way him and his importance was introduced to the story.

• March 3rd, 2019 at 3:16 pm      Reply reading1234567 Says:

However I didn’t think either had particular depth to them. Although I disliked a pocketful of murder, at least Quiz did seem to have some emotions.

• March 1st, 2019 at 9:55 am      Reply Rosie, Castle Says:

Yes! The side plots keep the start of the book gripping before the real story line starts. The beginning of the book does its job in slowly showing the reader that something strange is going on in the town of perfect, yet also uses a range of emotive language to make readers empathise with characters. As well as this, when the reader is interested in a character, like I think many of us were when we first read about Violet, it encouraged us to read on and discover her story.

3. November 6th, 2018 at 3:07 pm      Reply Lucy, Abbeywood Says:

I read this book a while ago and loved it! I was so hooked I finished it the same day I borrowed it from the school library. The characters are very entertaining and the idea of Perfect is very original as I have never read a book like it! There were plenty of plot twists that left me wondering what was going to happen next. I would recommend reading this book because there are no other books like it.

• February 27th, 2019 at 9:09 am      Reply EH@CSS Says:

Hello! I have a different point of view for this book! The front cover looks interesting but i don’t understand anything from the book at all anymore!

• March 3rd, 2019 at 3:17 pm      Reply reading1234567 Says:

I think you may be quite dismayed to read a pocketful of murder then as they are quite similar! Im glad you enjoyed it however.

4. November 6th, 2018 at 3:11 pm      Reply Carys Abbeywood Says:

I have read this book before and Will look forward to reading it again. At first I thought ‘I will give it a try’ (since it was in the sale! >:3) I loved it very much . I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did. Look out for the sequel The Trouble with Perfect.

5. November 9th, 2018 at 10:04 pm      Reply A.h CSS Says:

I chose this book first because of the front cover which I think makes the book look attractive and intriguing to pick up.It is called ” A place called perfect” and is written by Helena Duggan. The front cover also says” They’ve got their eyes on you” which sounds rather creepy or suspicious- so obviously you want to read it to find out what happens.

The blurb states that “weird” and “strange” things are happening which adds to the spooky and tense theme. The main character is Violet and the story starts with her moving house and the disappearance of her parents. That’s the only information on the back of the book so we do not know why these things are happening.

When I first opened the book there was a detailed illustration of a map where Violet lives. There is also plenty more pictures through out the chapters and after reading a few of the first pages, I was already hooked. I cannot wait to read the rest of the book!

• March 3rd, 2019 at 3:18 pm      Reply reading1234567 Says:

I agree the map definitely fed the imagination and gave us a good starting point. But we also knew an awful lot that was going to happen before we even started reading. Maybe there will be some plot twists later on and I look forward to reading more.

• March 8th, 2019 at 4:59 pm      Reply Bethan, Abbeywood Says:

I love the aspect of the map! I think it gives us an insight to what will actually happen in the book, and can make us wonder what will happen. As a reader, it made me want to read the book to see if it could answer any questions I had.

• March 9th, 2019 at 10:51 am      Reply Faith, Castle Says:

However it also put some restraint on how we could imagine perfect. We knew where everything was already and we weren’t given the freedom to imagine it. For some people this may have been easier but I don’t think the book raised an awful lot of questions.

6. November 15th, 2018 at 12:37 pm      Reply Carys Abbeywood Says:

I have just finished reading A Place Called Perfect. I LOVED IT!!!!!

7. November 15th, 2018 at 1:27 pm      Reply Bethan, Abbeywood Says:

I am around halfway through the book now and I am loving it more and more every second. There are lots of plot twists which makes you want to keep on reading.
    The reader makes you feel empathy with the characters which is good because it gets the reader more involved in the story. The storyline is intriguing and fast-paced; the fast-paced action can sometimes get a bit confusing but apart from that it is told at a perfect pace.
    I love that the idea of the utopian atmosphere in a dystopian world, and if you like dystopian books then this book is a brilliant read! Even if you hate dystopian fantasy, this book is still an amazing mystery too.
    I hope that Violet and Boy can help the town of Perfect and the people living in No Man’s Land. I can’t wait to read more of this book.

I disagree

• March 1st, 2019 at 9:43 am      Reply Alex, Castle school Says:

I found I couldn’t really get attached to the characters. Especially violet,who acted far younger than her age.

• March 1st, 2019 at 1:29 pm      Reply Bethan, Abbeywood Says:

I have to disagree with you.
        I can’t remember everything I felt about Violet’s character, but I can remember that I really liked her character towards the beginning of the book! I found Boy quite irritating at times towards the second half.
        I think that the older children participating in the book award are finding the books quite immature – I feel like A Place Called Perfect was written for younger children, therefore we, as readers, feel like the characters are annoying.

• March 3rd, 2019 at 3:24 pm      Reply reading1234567 Says:

So your views on the characters changed through the book? Your original comment you seemed quite attached to them. What made you change your mind?

• March 8th, 2019 at 9:51 am      Reply Katie, Castle Says:

Yes I do agree with you as I think they should either change her age or make her act older!!!

• March 8th, 2019 at 9:53 am      Reply Amy H,Castle Says:

I think Violet’s age should have been changed to 7 to make her behaviour make more sense,the book was kind of predictable and creepy,and it made it a bit boring.

• March 3rd, 2019 at 3:22 pm      Reply reading1234567 Says:

I felt as the characters don’t seem to have much depth to them that they were hard to get attached too. I didn’t feel like there was a lot of fast paced action and that perfect was actually quite boring. They all seem to act quite predictably.

• March 8th, 2019 at 9:57 am      Reply Amy H,Castle Says:

I think the author was trying too hard to make the book like a classic mystery book,but it came across very false,i would be interested to near which is the authors favourite colourful

8. November 16th, 2018 at 11:25 am      Reply GD@CSS Says:

I chose “A Place Called Perfect” as the front cover and the blurb looked really interesting.
    60 pages in, I’m disappointed with the story which I know is a contrasting view to others who’ve commented; including my friend Amy in our reading group. She really likes it.
    On the blurb, it says that Violet is not looking forward to moving and she doesn’t want to; she doesn’t want to go blind. However, it’s not grabbed my attention and I am not drawn to her as a character. Maybe it’s too close to home with my own situation and I’m not open to reading about moving home. I don’t know…let’s see how I feel later on.

• December 4th, 2018 at 11:00 am      Reply Bethan, Abbeywood Says:

I completely agree with you.
      I have just finished the book and overall I think it is well-written and has an original storyline. However, it did take me a while to become well and truly involved in the storyline (I found I only became captivated by the story around 150-200 pages in). I think this is because in this section, there are a lot of plot twists and cliffhangers at the end of each chapter, which makes you want to never stop reading the book.
      I am very glad that I gave this book a chance, even though I didn’t like it at first. I recommend that you do the same.

• March 1st, 2019 at 9:24 am      Reply Trevor Says:

I liked the distopian ideas and political ideas brought up in th book.

• March 3rd, 2019 at 3:27 pm      Reply reading1234567 Says:

Yes I agree it gets better as you read on but it didn’t have particularly strong foundations so when something happened to the characters you weren’t particularly bothered. Maybe they should have gone into more depth with violets character so we could relate to her more or perhaps made her a little older. Im sure some people who read the book have been in her situation when she didn’t want to move yet no one seems to be able to relate to her.

• March 4th, 2019 at 6:33 pm      Reply musicalslover101 Says:

I agree that it is quite hard to get into,but I didn’t ever really get into it,quite enough,and I found myself skimming most of it.

• March 5th, 2019 at 5:46 pm      Reply Bethan, Abbeywood Says:

I agree with you on finding it hard to get into originally, but after a while I found that I was feeling empathy for some of the characters. This is my third favourite book in the awards, and I would probably of liked it more if all of the character’s had a deeper backstory, however the story of Boy was extremely meaningful and was one of my favourite backstories of a character in all of the books of the award!

9. November 21st, 2018 at 12:45 pm      Reply A.H CSS Says:

Half way through the book, I was still hooked on the story line and I never felt disheartened to pick it up again. There re many twists and strange happenings in the book and I felt there was enough action to keep me wanting to read. I feel so far, that the moral of the book is friendship and determination because both the main characters heavily rely on one another and keep each other going throughout their adventure.

The author also concentrates on the feelings of Violet and Boy (the two main characters) and how they are dealing with what is going on around them. Violet is sad and left feeling worthless when her parents start changing, whilst Boy is always a bit more persevering and determined, maybe because he has no parents of his own. This means that Boy helps Violet to over come those feelings and carry on with their adventure. So maybe if Boy wasn’t there , she would have not come so far.

10. November 21st, 2018 at 12:58 pm      Reply A.H CSS Says:

I have finished the book! Overall I really enjoyed this book and felt the whole way through there was enough drama and events, enough description of characters and the setting and a happy ending to finish it off. My favorite part was probably the ending because it was tense and I desperately wanted to know how the events of the story would turn out and whether Violet and Boy would find a place to live alongside those from “The no-mans land”. I was particularly happy with how boy’s ending turned out but I’ll leave that for you to find out!

Although I did enjoy this book, my feelings of what genre and age this book is aimed at changed when I finished it. From the front cover I assumed it would be more of a children’s book, but after reading some of the more violent or spooky scenes, I would say that this book is more of a teen read than for younger children. Also I assumed it was an adventure theme but having now read it, I feel it is more of a mystery novel with a few spooky scenes.

The story is written well and chapter don’t drag on. I liked how some chapters were long for description and some where shorter for more rapid events. Also the chapters were mostly left on cliff hangers, so the reader will carry on to learn what happens next. The illustrations inside the book are also very attractive and add to the overall feel of the story. When I started I was unsure what some of the items on the front cover meant (eg tea pots and eyeballs) but now looking again after finishing the book, I understand what these symbols mean and how they tie in with the book. At the end there is also a page describing what happens in the second book which I now definitely want to read.

So overall, it is a highly appealing book with a great story line and cast of characters. It has an attractive front cover and is a very enjoyable read. 🙂

• March 3rd, 2019 at 3:30 pm      Reply reading1234567 Says:

I have not yet finished this book and I’m interested to find out if my first predictions for this book are going to be correct. I am glad to here it gets better so that is my motivation to continue with this book.

11. November 23rd, 2018 at 1:08 pm      Reply MP@CSS Says:

This book when I looked at it I thougt it looked intresting. Then I looked at the writing on the the front cover and it said ‘They’ve got their eyes on you’. And then I looked at the blerb and saw alot more.

I gathered that she was normal at first but soon looked at the town in a deaper way. She kept on hearing voices her mum was acting strange and her dad disappeared. One day she then meets this boy and finds out that its not just her family but it is the town. I read the last little bit of the blurb and saw that watchers are guarding a perfectly creepy secret.

My personal feelings on this book is that it’s a creepy sort of genre and that sort of intrested me. I don’t ever really like creepy books but this one just stood out for me.

12. December 3rd, 2018 at 2:55 pm      Reply Bethan, Abbeywood Says:

I have just finished this book and overall, I thought it was amazing! I would not go as far to say it was my favourite book ever, but the way the story was written was really cool!
    The story was full of cliffhangers, and as soon as the story got going about halfway through, I found that I couldn’t put the book down. It was quite an easy read with no extremely complex language and vocabulary but the storyline made up for that.
    The story had a very good and original plot that I have not heard of before. It was a very good fantasy book so if you like fantasy
    stories then I would definitely recommend it.

• March 1st, 2019 at 9:23 am      Reply Ollie Says:

Although I honour your opinion Bethan, I must disagree. I thought the story was plain and lacked any real emotion whatsoever.

• March 3rd, 2019 at 3:31 pm      Reply reading1234567 Says:

I agree with you. I think the characters needed another layer to them to make this book worthwhile.

13. December 3rd, 2018 at 3:12 pm      Reply jacob Says:

over all I found this book rather interesting due to the contrast between the protagonists who you could emphasise with, the detached no man landers, the villainous archers/watchers and the naïve to the point of comedy (well to be honest well past the point that something becomes funny).

14. January 31st, 2019 at 3:57 pm      Reply AL.CSS Says:

Wow, this book is breath-taking. The front cover is very pretty and hides a few secrets if you look closely. I also like how adventurous it is and how many twists there are. You never know what the ending will be so it is very mysterious. This book seems fun for all ages. The characters are very unique in their own way and hide secrets within themselves. So far it is my favourite book!

• March 1st, 2019 at 9:25 am      Reply Alex, Castle School Says:

While I agree this is a good read, I found the front cover to be too busy and confusing- it didn’t encourage me to read at all.

• March 3rd, 2019 at 3:33 pm      Reply reading1234567 Says:

I agree and the flowers definitely were confusing at first. Once you read on you can see that they’re eyeballs but to someone picking it up for the first time , they just look creepy. I think they made it out to be a lot more creepy than it was and that they discourage the young readers its aimed at from reading the book.

15. February 6th, 2019 at 12:01 pm      Reply EH@CSS Says:

So far i am nearly half way through this book and i find it really interesting. I think this book is different compared to other books.But in some parts (The part i am reading now.page 120 and the end of that chapter) it gets really boring because i think the author is trying to describe the part of the book way to much that you don’t know what is going on. In my opinion i think she rushed this part of the book and the last chapter way too much that i have no idea what is going on.But except from that i think the book has caught my eye in some interesting parts near the beginning of the book. I am looking forwards to reading the rest of the book!

16. February 13th, 2019 at 12:29 pm      Reply wabbeywood Says:

a pleasant read to calm down. I recommend it for people who are into mystery books.

• March 3rd, 2019 at 3:35 pm      Reply reading1234567 Says:

I like a good mystery but I don’t believe this book has a particularly strong one. It’s good if you want something to read casually and not have to pay too much attention to but in prefer books you can really get into.

17. February 25th, 2019 at 3:14 pm      Reply agd Says:

I have only read this book recently but ever since I’ve read it , I’ve regretted not reading it sooner! it is so full of mystery and clues; it makes you want to read on even if you are not allowed! I love how they drop little hints throughout the book but don’t reveal what is actually going on until the end. I also love how the author, Helena Duggan, decided to leave the book on a cliff hanger because it definitely adds suspense! I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who loves a book with a lot of mystery!

18. February 27th, 2019 at 9:02 am      Reply EH@CSS Says:

I am over half way through the book and i still can’t work out what is going on! The beginning was good but it just makes no sense anymore!

19. February 27th, 2019 at 9:05 am      Reply EH@CSS Says:

I have a few pages left and i have decided to finish reading it because i don’t understand it anymore! I just feel like they are rushing the characters in way to fast!

20. March 1st, 2019 at 9:33 am      Reply Carys ,Abbeywood Says:

I read A place called perfect before I joined the book awards and I loved reading it again. Did anyone know that there is a sequel and the author is writing a third book?

21. March 1st, 2019 at 9:34 am      Reply Carys ,Abbeywood Says:

Don’t worry if you don’t understand it there is second book that explains what is going on.

22. March 1st, 2019 at 9:45 am      Reply Rosie, Castle Says:

Similar to Bethany Abbeywood, I chose this book to read first. Although the cover and the blurb sounded like it was for a slightly younger audience, I actually enjoyed the book quite a lot, despite it having some flaws. The storyline was surprisingly gripping, however somewhat predictable. For example, I could guess how it ended, and some parts of the book that were supposed to be a surprise (for example, William’s true relationship to Boy) was quite easy for me to guess earlier on. However, the side plots kept me interested along the way. As well as this, I think more time could have been given to describing and developing the characters, as if there wasn’t a picture of them on the cover, I don’t believe I would’ve been able to build a mental picture of what they looked like.

Although it turned out to be a good book, I believe it was quite predictable and the characters could’ve been developed more, however overall it was a fairly gripping read.

23. March 3rd, 2019 at 3:39 pm      Reply reading1234567 Says:

I think the cover put me off due to the cartoonish style. I knew there wasn’t going to be a lot going on but im hoping it will get better. I had already read one so technically this was my second pick. I was more draw to a pocketful of murder than this one. I am excited to see which I prefer.

24. March 8th, 2019 at 9:51 am      Reply Amy, Castle Says:

I have started reading this book and am intrigued as to how it ends. I agree that a pocket full of murder definitely has a more gripping start although I cannot decide which one I prefer until I have read them both. I find the idea behind the story confusing but also original and exciting- I have never read a book like this before.

25. March 8th, 2019 at 9:53 am      Reply Amy, Castle Says:

Irrelevant to this book- I am SO excited to be going to the Concorde Book Awards this year. I can’t wait to see who wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🙂

26. March 8th, 2019 at 9:55 am      Reply Harry,Castle Says:

personally, i decided against this book as the cover put me off at first. when i finally read it, i found it lackluster and bland. its a shame, the title sounds intriguing but when you read it it turns out to be a disappointment. im sure others loved it, but not me 🙁

• March 8th, 2019 at 4:57 pm      Reply Bethan, Abbeywood Says:

I do, sort of, agree with you.
      Personally, the cover did make me feel quite intrigued – the design made me question what was actually going to happen in the story and the quote on the cover made the book have a creepy sense to it.
      I would’ve liked to see more depth in the character’s backstories – I feel like there was a backstory for Boy but not so much for Violet. I did miss that, as Violet seemed to be the main protagonist in the story, but just didn’t have the storyline to go along with that.
      I felt like the storyline was original, but it could have been slightly more developed then it actually was. That way, I think people would have enjoyed it more. At some points, the story was quite confusing because I feel like several points were trying to be made all at once.

27. March 9th, 2019 at 10:47 am      Reply Faith, Castle Says:

I have now finished the book and although it was good I wouldn’t read again. I think the characters needed a bit more depth to them for this to be successful. I think younger audiences would enjoy so I would recommend for 9-12 year olds.

• March 11th, 2019 at 9:59 pm      Reply Bethan, Abbeywood Says:

I totally agree on your point about the target audience. I would say it wouldn’t be as such a good book for the older years of secondary school, as it doesn’t address mature themes and it doesn’t include that much challenging language.

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Skip to toolbar